No matter your age, you deserve a smile of which you are proud. You might not realize that we can fix your tooth alignment no matter what your age is. Braces are not just for children anymore. We can get you the smile you deserve!
Here at New Image Orthodontics, we work hard to give you the smile you’ve always wanted. We offer many different treatments that can be effective no matter how old you are. More and more orthodontic treatments are becoming available to give adults the smile that they want.
Orthodontic treatments are not just for your smile, even though they can really improve your appearance and self-esteem. Fixing your teeth can also dramatically change your oral health. When you have crooked teeth or a malocclusion, you may have some oral health problems such as disease and tartar buildup.
It can be really hard to brush between your teeth when they don’t line up correctly, which will lead to more cavities and decay. Many people who suffer from malocclusions have jaw pain along with headaches.
As newer and newer technologies are designed, it is getting easier to get the smile you deserve. You won’t have to come in for as many follow-ups and may have a better smile even quicker than you thought possible.
If you want to improve your smile, we always start with a thorough examination and x-rays. We will then discuss your many options, including different forms of braces, aligners, and retainers. We also will talk about the treatment plan, what you should expect, and the cost. If your insurance will cover some of the costs, we will glad to help you figure it out.
ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT FOR ADULTS
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
COMMON REASONS WHY ADULTS ARE CONSIDERING ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR ADULTS
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today’s orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Self-ligating braces (clear & metal)
- Lingual (behind the teeth) braces
- Invisalign clear aligners
- Traditional metal braces
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ADULT ORTHODONTICS AND ORTHODONTICS FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS:
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may make orthognathic surgery possible to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact us at either office, to schedule a complimentary consultation.